As I type, we are in week 50 of 52 and the year 2022 is coming to an end. I’m sure we can all agree it has not been smooth sailing. We’ve all been impacted in some way by global events, most of it out of our control. I am not going to dwell on this any further.
What we should dwell on is:
How has the year been for you?
For the last 2 years, I have conducted a personal year end review. The purpose of it is to sit down and reflect on the last 12 months and really understand what I was up to. What went well, what didn’t, and the lessons learnt.
I value this exercise because it helps to ensure I track my progress and carefully consider my year. It also contributes towards looking ahead to 2023 and living intentionally. Life can pass us by so this is a great opportunity to stand still for a moment, reflect, and just think. Consider this an investment of time on you.
This is best first thing in the morning, in a quiet environment with a coffee in hand.
Consider the key areas of your focus and life, for example:
– professional / work / job
– personal family relationships
– fun / creativity / hobbies
Looking back and acknowledging the past year:
- List your wins for the year
- What are you grateful for?
- What were the risks you took?
- What were your top 5 days? (a diary or journal really helps answer this)
- What are you most happy about completing?
- What is your unfinished business from this year?
- Who are the three people that had the greatest impact on your life this year?
- What was your biggest surprise?
- What else do you need to do or say to complete this year?
- What one word or phrase best sums up and describes your experience this year?
The above will help to gather your thoughts to help look ahead to 2023. Consider what a truly amazing year would be by completing a fictional diary entry:
Today is the 31st December 2023. This year has been the best year of my life because…
Write freely and without reservation. Think big, and you will gather clarity over what good looks like for you.
It is then over to you to take ownership and responsibility for 2023. Remember: People don’t decide their future, they decide their habits and their habits decide their future.
Wishing you an amazing 2023!